Tuesday 5 April 2016

The power of the story

The world of startups is full of rhetoric about the power of your story. There are even books to help you tell your tale.
http://www.storytellingforstartups.ca/

So in the last 2 years I've spent a lot of time working out exactly what the persuasive story of findr is. I've incorporated elements of the story into elevator pitches, business plans and just about every conversation I have (sorry all my friends!).


But the story always come across better when I tell it in person.

This post "The power of a simple story" by the team at ThisData inspired me to rethink the telling of the story. To simplify the story as much as possible...

Their story is beautifully short:

"We do login security. So you know when you sign in to Facebook or Google from a new device or location, they send you a “was this you” email. We offer that service for companies that want to add an extra layer of security to their apps."

I'm not sure I'm that articulate but they say a shorter story is easier to pass on and so here is findr in a sentence...

"findr connects you directly with photographers, saving you time and money in the search for the perfect photographer for your shoot."
 

The problem is that like the ThisData story it's not really the story of findr. It's just what we do and only from the perspective of the client. Unless we meet and I can tell you the full story in person I'm going to have to keep on working on the short version. I do have a bit of time, we don't have a finished product yet after all!

I will let you in on a founder's secret. The bottom line is findr was created as a solution to genuine problems. One of finding suitable photographers quickly and the second, well, let's just say that I'm terrible at marketing myself...

Watch this space though, you'll start to get the full picture behind findr.


No comments:

Post a Comment